LISTEN to Parents explain the need for Inclusive Childcare on Alex Lester Show Radio WM 18 April 2018
Around 1 in 4 children and young people (based on figures from Children’s Commissioner for England) are vulnerable to social isolation. That includes disabled children and young people and those with mental health or other additional needs. At the same time, their families are excluded from the free and subsidised childcare which other families receive as a right.
This is because:
- there is almost NO inclusive childcare provision;
- special schools unlike mainstream schools do NOT provide childcare as standard;
- and the staffing ratios in mainstream childcare are NOT sufficient to accommodate children with additional needs.
The families most in need of childcare are not getting it.
The result is that parents – particularly single parents – find themselves excluded from the jobs market; families, including siblings, that are already under stress run an increased risk of family breakdown and mental illness; and families are condemned to dependency on benefits, poverty and loneliness.
Children’s Quarter believes that ALL children and families have a right to childcare. If you agree:
1) Please sign our petition and write your MP
2) follow the Campaign on Twitter
3) let us know your experience below…